Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Boiled Cider


             I'm on a roll today, surprising what you can get done when you stay home for a day! I've been boiling cider all morning, the house smells like New England in autumn! Now, if your like I was, thinking what the heck is boiled cider? It's also known as apple molasses, a thick syrup made by boiling down apple cider. I first seen this in a cooking catalog and thought it was pricey and why did I need it? After further research, I discovered it's the secret ingredient in all apple baking, plus it's wonderful over warm biscuits, scones or cake, ice cream too! So, I set out to buy a gallon of apple cider, since it takes ALOT of cider to get the syrup. Then I looked on Pinterest and found a easier recipe from Mid West Living, so that's what I'm sharing today, along with their photo, since my cider is cooling.

8 cups apple cider
6 qt. dutch over pan, not aluminium

Bring apple cider to a good boil. Reduce heat to med and simmer 2 hours, stirring now and again. Remove from heat and cool slightly before pouring into clean screw top jar. Keep in refrigerator for up to 3 months. A must use is in apple pies!!

    Now, we all know that boiled cider does exist and I'm glad it does, I can't wait to add it to my apple pies at Thanksgiving!  More pumpkin recipes next post!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...