I know, I"m stuck on desserts here, but they have always been a weakness of mine, and I love making them, and just for the records, I bake and rarely eat it so I guess that's a good thing? Chocolate on the other hand, is my guilty pleasure, only because I tend to over do it, esp. when it's dark chocolate, but hey, that's good for you, right? And who doesn't love a good carrot cake, and this one is extra good, made into a chocolate carrot cake.....I'm in love!
Chocolate Carrot Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups canola oil
- 3 cups finely shredded carrots
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Line two 9-in. round baking pans with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add the eggs, oil and carrots; beat until combined. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Beat in the confectioners' sugar, cocoa and vanilla until smooth.
- Place bottom layer on a serving plate; top with half of the frosting. Repeat with remaining cake layer. Sprinkle with nuts and chocolate chips. 12-16 servings.
So, file this away for the next time you need a special dessert, but treat yourself and family by making a practice cake, and think a little healthy here! If you haven't got in on my Earth Day giveaway yet, you still have a week to do so. Just scroll down to that post and leave me a comment, a neat little book is the prize, full of green cleaning tips and recipes! Good luck and enjoy this cake, I know I will be!