Friday, October 02, 2009

Apple Peel Jelly

I thought you might like those little pies in a jar, and since it's apple picking time which means pie season, don't let those apple peels go to waste! I dug out my apple peel jelly recipe just for you, and I love the fact that now it's hip to be frugal and using every part of the apple is 100% frugal!

Apple Peel Jelly
4 c firmly packed apple peels
5 c water
1 1/2 c sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
In covered stainless steel saucepan, bring peels and water to boil. Reduce heat: uncover; simmer 20 minutes. Strain through jelly bag of cheesecloth.(Do not squeeze or you'll have cloudy jelly). Measure juice (you should have about 2 cups); return to same saucepan. Stir in sugar and lemon juice. Bring to boil over medium heat; cook rapidly, uncovered, stirring, remove saucepan from heat. Pour immediately into 2 sterilized 6 oz jelly jars. skim off foam; cover; cool;store in refrigerator. Makes 2 6 oz. jars.
You can also double this recipe and can it if you have alot of apples to peel, and if you want to add a little zing to your jelly, add some red hot candies to the mix, as they dissolve they will add more color to the jelly. I'm proud to be frugal and I love getting my money's worth and feed my family the very best! Happy apple picking days to you!
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...