Saturday, November 15, 2008

Deer Season Begins


It's the one day of the year that men of all walks of life value like kids do Christmas, it's opening day of deer season here in Missouri and all the boys in my family hunt, some more than others but all four enjoy this time in nature. And today has to be the coldest start to deer season that I can remember but they still go. It's only in the 30's today with a nasty wind that feels like the 20's, but they still go! No deer have been bagged yet but they are out again till dark. It's been a few years since a deer has been taken within our family, I don't know how everyone feels about hunting but it does help control the population plus fill the freezer to help the grocery budget through winter. I don't hunt, never had, not my cup of tea, but I understand why the men do and I wouldn't even try to stop them, if I could!

The girls and I have our own tradition for opening weekend. Our town holds the Christmas Open House tour every year on opening weekend, so we gather together and hit them all, signing up for giveaways, nabbing the free goodies and treats and kindling our mood for the Christmas season with all the pretty decorations and trees, and let me tell you, I'm REALLY in the mood to decorate now! Except due to the cold and high winds today, we didn't make it to all of them, just too cold for us! The boys are brave to stay out in the elements like today, all for the hope of bagging a deer for the freezer.

So today, I'm thankful for their safety in numbers while hunting, and praying that it continues till the season ends. I'm also thankful that I don't have to go, and can stay warm inside with free flowing coffee, my computer and plenty of crafts to keep me busy till they return.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...