Friday, July 08, 2011

Garden Gossip


              How is your garden growing? Ours is doing pretty good, so far. The one problem I'm having is my tomatoes are splitting down the middle, and they are staked real good? Surprising, the toms are still alive and growing so I'm hoping to get some, but have already warned the husband, we've got to come up with a better tom cage! Most of our veggies are in raised beds, it's much easier to weed, mulch stays put and easier on my back. I'm growing cucumbers on a trellis this year and they love it! I do too, leaves me room for a couple of zucchini plants, that have already supplied me with a batch of zucchini relish and zucchini fries tonight! I'm also trying mini pumpkins are a trellis, next to the pumpkins in the photo on top, and bird house gourds too. I want to make a purple martin house colony out of them next year!  The front line of boxes are mainly herbs: rosemary, sage and lavender for future soaps and salves.

           The bottom photo is the potting shed, it's coming along, not as fast as I'd like it too but as the budget allows. I'm hoping it will be completed by fall, I vision pumpkins and mums all about! It will have a porch on the front, old rescued windows on the sides and a old screen door for air control, for now. Next year, we hope to add a greenhouse off one side and mower storage on the other. I've been combing through my old issues of Country Gardens for ideas and I'm getting excited the closer it gets to completion.

           Now for some garden gossip! Did you know that roses love coffee just as much as I do? lol  I've been saving all our used coffee grounds in a old coffee can and applying them each time the can is full, they love it and are growing like crazy!!  My tomatoes and peppers love teabags too! I've been mulching them with our left over tea bags from each brew and they look so perky! And don't forget those egg shells! I crumble them up and sprinkle around the base of any plants that caterpillars like to eat, mainly the toms, so far, it's working! If you have any handy tips, please share them here. I'd love to try some more tested, natural ways to re-use and recycle! Happy gardening!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...