Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Tasty Tuesday



      I never liked meatloaf much as a kid, so my Mom didn't make it very often. Maybe that is why I love it now, I can appreciate the thriftyness of a meatloaf which is why it is so popular. This recipe came from the current issue of Woman's World and the title caught my eye and when I read it was high in fiber, I knew I had to try this one, so I did last night.  No, I didn't get festive by shaping it into a heart, the photo was snagged at Flickr but I wish I had, and might if I make it again before Valentines day.

Taco Meatloaf

1 c. crushed bran flakes ( I used raisin bran which I had, and picked out the raisins.)
3/4 c. ketchup
1 env. (1 oz) taco seasoning mix
1 1/2 lbs. 90% lean ground beef  (the only kind I buy)
1/2 c. mexican style shredded cheese  ( I only had cheddar and worked fine)
3 eggs
Preheat oven to 350. In a small bowl, combine cereal and 1/2 c. water and stand 5 mins. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine ketchup and taco seasoning; reserve 1/4 c. of mixture. To remaining ketchup mixture stir in ground beef, cheese, eggs and cereal mixture until combined. On cookie sheet, shape into 8x4 loaf and bake for 40-45 min.. Brush with reserved 1/4 c. ketchup mix and and bake till glaze is set, about 5-10 min. Let stand 10 min. before slicing.  Enjoy!

    Easy huh, and who doesn't love a good for you meal, and let me tell you, I had a small piece and it was filling, must of been all that fiber! lol  I love a thrifty meal too, and meatloaf is so versitile.  If you have a good recipe for this classic, let me know, share it here or on your blog and redirect us.  Another good thing about meatloaf, it makes a good sandwich the next day! Enjoy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...