Sunday, November 04, 2007

Comfort in words


Now that Halloween is over we can turn our thoughts to Thanksgiving and all the wonderful things that day brings. We are creatures of comfort, aren't we? There's something so comforting in knowing that we have a special day set aside to give thanks and be grateful for all things, great and small. I plan on starting a new tradition with our family this year, a graditude journal to be passed to each member of the family old enough to write a few lines or a page if they so choose, just something to mark their year of blessings, one to look back on years ahead. I love this idea, I love journaling and do so for everything from my gardening to prayers, but to have a family journal of grateful thoughts can only keep our family ties strong and tight!
I've been keeping journals for many years, still have one of my first diaires from jr. high school. I often read them over and over to see how silly I was. I have a journal of my adventures in hitch hiking to Oregon, I was young and in love, no other excuses needed. I have baby journals from carring my boys, my plan was to have one for each son, but it never worked out that way. I wish I had done it now, what a gift that would of been to them now.
I really find words to be comforting, not just my own, but many authors have inspried me, stirred my inner writer to new highs and have mended relationships old and new. Words are such a big part of my life and I've found many bloggers who challenge me in my own writing style and I like that. I've also found many who I can connect too right away, and that is comforting too. Words are powerful, they can heal, they can hurt, choose them wisely, they are priceless really!
I'd love to hear your thoughts on journaling, do you? Do you prefer to make your own or buy them? Do you have a Thanksgiving Graditude Journal? If not, think about starting one too, we can savor the holiday together, pass the book please!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...