Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Tasty Tuesday


             I don't mean to load you down with carbs but when I realized it turned March today, I got all excited about making Irish Soda Bread again. I only make it in March for St.Patrick's Day and I have no idea why I only save this rich bread for this month? I'll have to work on making this more often, as it's super easy, hearty and goes good with anything! Have you made Irish Soda Bread before? I have the cutest littlest Irish cookbook so I use a tradional recipe, which I'm sharing today, note it doesn't call for caraway seeds like many recipes do, and that's totally up to you, but true Irish Soda Bread doesn't call for them, but I have made many loaves with both raisins and caraway seeds mixed in and it's still very yummy.

Irish Soda Bread

3 Tb. butter,softened
2 1/2 c. all purpose flour
2 Tb. sugar
1 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/3 c. raisins
3/4 c. buttermilk
Preheat oven to 375 and grease cookie sheet, set aside. Cut butter into flour, sugar, baking soda and powder and salt in large bowl, using2 knives or a pastry blender, till mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in raisins ( caraway seeds too if using them) and enough buttermilk so dough leaves sides of bowl. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for 1-2 min. Shape into a round loaf and place on cookie sheet. With a floured knife, make a X on top and brush with butter. Bake for 35-45 min. Serve warm.

       This was the most popular bread in Ireland and often made daily for breakfast and tea time and I can see why, it's also very good toasted with jam. So, treat yourself and family to this tradional bread for St. Patricks Day or any old day for that matter, live it up!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...