Sunday, June 21, 2009

I'm a Herbie!

Day 21 of a month of me is really all about Father's Day, but since both my hubby and I no longer have our father's, I celebrate him and our boys who are now daddy's and husbands. Happy Father's Day to all Dads out there, we appreciate you!

If one passion best described me, it would have to be my love of herbs. I'm not sure how or when it started, but I'm convinced it's been in my blood from the beginning. I've been told my grandmother ( on my Mom's side) played with herbs too, used them in concoctions like I do and grew many, just like me. I never knew any of my grandparents so I've never known that bond but sure do miss it. Funny how things like this skip a generation but I love the fact that I'm continuing with her passion, making it my own and hopefully passing it onto another generation.

I love herbs, can't get enough of them! I make my own salves that really work and are much more gentle on your skin. I grow and dry many kitchen herbs that I use to cook with plus I make teas and such. I'm self taught but like to think my grandmother is guiding me. A few years ago I made my first flu syrup from wild elderberries, it was easy, good and did help to keep us well and flu free that winter. I'll be making more this year for sure! My love of herbs lead me to start my Herbal Farmstead blog, if you love herbs too and wish to learn more about them, I have many articles there including one on Elderberries and my famous tea jellies. The link is to the right under my other blog. It's not updated as often as I had hoped but once things slow down a bit, I hope to write up another article for it.

Herbs are a big part of who I am, and I'm so glad they are! Lavender is one of my favorites along with rosemary, sage and dill. The smell off each herb is amazing, I grow many just for the aroma when touched! If you're a Herbie too, I wanna hear about your herb garden. I've created a small one that will do till I can expand, can't have too many herbs, now can we!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...